Cicada Film Festival 2020
to all the 2020 winners!
Missed the awards night? Find out the winners, watch the online event compered by Paul Bishop and Laura Eban by clicking the link below 🎥 🥇
Make a film
- Maximum three minutes
- On an SEQ environmental issue
- Two themes – General or Oceans
- Two age groups: Under 14 or Open (14 – 24)
1st, 2nd and 3rd prizes awarded in four categories:
- General – under 14
- General – open (14 – 24)
- Oceans – under 14
- Oceans – open (14 – 24)
Attend a screening
- PREMIERE SCREENINGS ONLINE Watch 20 of the best short films by SEQ youth. To be launched Friday 23rd October at 6.30pm
- AWARDS NIGHT ONLINE Find out the winners at this online event compered by Paul Bishop and Laura Eban, Friday 30th October from 6.30pm
Cicada Film Festival Latest News
Comperes of the CFF Awards Night Cr Paul Bishop and Laura Eban are encouraging youth to maker their voices heard, by 7th September, Threatened Species Day and Closing Date for 2020 CFF entries!
Help a young filmmaker gain a prize!
Viewing these 2019 films will determine the winner of the Rotary Club of Redland Sunrise Most Viewed Award of $500!
These award-winning short films by entrants from 8 – 23 years of age raise diverse issues. By viewing these films you can help the entrants win $500, which is awarded for the most viewed film from the YouTube playlist.
Sponsored by the Rotary Club of Redlands Sunrise the prize will be presented at the 2020 Cicada Film Festival Premiere Screening & Awards Night.
Shrills & thrills. Let the voices of youth reverberate throughout the year!
Another way to help youth to be heard is to invite winners from the previous CFF to be on the Judging Panel for the following year. We’re delighted that Sophie and Leisel whose winning entry “This is our future” won them 1st Prize of $500 in the General Theme, Open Category will be joining the Judging Panel for this year’s awards. Keep shrilling girls!
What is the criteria for entry?
Winners are determined by the collective score of the judges. The highest score in each category is determined the winner.
Be sure to meet the criteria to score highly.
- Competence in the art of filmmaking or animation.
- Relevance to SEQ’s species, habitats and/or conservation issues.
- Inspires, touches the spirit, makes us wonder, laugh, shed a tear.
- Well thought out storyline that offers a solution.
- Based on facts and/or science.
What areas are considered South East QLD?
The areas are:
- Brisbane City
- Ipswich City
- Logan City
- Moreton Bay Region
- Redland City
- City of Gold Coast
- Sunshine Coast Region including Noosa
- Lockyer Valley
- Scenic Rim
- Toowoomba City
Are there any forms to fill in?
When submitting your film you will need to complete:
- An entry form
And if required:
- Location Agreement
- Music Release
- Talent Release
What are the terms and conditions of entry?
The Terms and Conditions are:
TERMS & CONDITIONS
The Cicada Film Festival (CFF) was initiated in 2011 by the Wildlife Preservation Society of Qld Bayside Branch hereby known as ‘The Organisers’.
- There are two Categories: (1) GENERAL theme and (2) OCEANS theme
- There are two Age Groups: (1) Open (14 -24 years inclusive) and (2) Under 14 (13 years of age and under)
- Entrants must be residents of South-East Queensland (SEQ) as defined by the Australian Bureau of Statistics.
You can find information on the areas defined as South-East Queensland by downloading the CFF map.
Terms & Conditions (1 – 19)
1) Films entered in the General Category of the Cicada Film Festival are to highlight a particular conservation issue relevant to SEQ. Films entered in the Oceans Category should address marine issues with a specific relevance to SEQ’s Moreton Bay. All films should suggest effective solutions.
2) Entries in either the General or Oceans Categories in both the Open and Under 14 age groups are to:
a) be any style or combination of styles (documentary and/or drama); and use video/stills imagery/animation
b) be based on facts/science and at the same time be entertaining
c) demonstrate competence in the art of film-making/animation
Entries must be:
3) a maximum of three (3) minutes duration (including credits; and not contain any commercial music
4) predominately the work of the entrants i.e. imagery from third parties must not exceed thirty percent (30%) of content; and, any third-party content must comply with copyright laws
5) Produced between 8th June 2019 and 7th September 2020 by residents of SEQ aged under 25 years
6) Submitted online at https://cicadafilmfestival.com.au/ or, by USB to Post Office Box 427 Capalaba Q 4157; and all entries must clearly indicate the name/s of entrant/s and the film’s title
7) Received by the Organisers by 7th September and be accompanied by the following completed forms:
a) Entry Form; b) thumbnail and spiel about your film for upload to CFF’s YouTube Channel; c) and if applicable: Location Release Form; Music Release Form; and Talent Release Form which are available from the CFF
How to Enter page https://cicadafilmfestival.com.au/how-to-enter
8) Comply with all laws and regulations including those relating to COVID-19 during the making of their films
9) Ensure their entry does not contain classifiable elements i.e. foul language, violence or nudity
10) Gain written permission from those whose images, voices, music or property appear in their film (as per #7)
Find forms via https://cicadafilmfestival.com.au/how-to-enter
11) Not be related to members of the 2020 Judging Panel
12) Accept that: a) 1st Prize winners are ineligible to win 1st Place prizes in the year following their win; and
b) entries are limited to three (3) films per entrant and major prizes limited to one (1) per entrant
By entering the Cicada Film Festival you:
13) Allow the Organisers to publicly screen your film free of charge; upload your film to the internet; and grant the Organisers non-exclusive worldwide rights to your film
14) Indemnify the Organisers against any losses or damage incurred during the making of your film
15) Agree that the Organisers can use photographs of you associated with the Cicada Film Festival
16) Understand that Organisers reserve the right not to show or share films considered to be inappropriate, defamatory or libellous
17) Understand the Judges’ decision will be final and no correspondence will be entered into
18) Affirm that you have read, understand and accept the Terms and Conditions
19) Are aware that Online Premiere Screenings will be hosted in October and Winners announced during an Awards Night on Friday 30th October.