Cicada Film Festival It’s time for youth to be heard
A short film competition open to South-East Queensland youth, up to and including 24 years of age.
Viewing the 2019 films will determine the winner of the Rotary Club of Redland Sunrise Most Viewed Award of $500!
Make a film
- Maximum three minutes
- On an SEQ environmental issue
- Two themes – General or Oceans
- Two age groups: Under 14 or Open (14 – 24)
1st, 2nd and 3rd prizes awarded in four categories:
- General – under 14
- General – open (14 – 24)
- Oceans – under 14
- Oceans – open (14 – 24)
Attend a screening
Shortlisted entries watch their film on the big screen at a gala event.
Cicada Film Festival Latest News
Did you know that a group of singing cicadas is called a chorus?
And that the short film competition for youth is named ‘cicada’ because like this little, noisy creature, we wanted young people to make a (loud) noise about environmental issues that matter to them?
And some of you have been doing that! And doing it very well indeed – the films are awesome!
How do we get the word out there and have more young people shrilling? Perhaps you can help? Let us know, we’d love to hear from you!
What is the criteria for entry?
Winners are determined by the collective score of the judges. The highest score in each category is determined the winner.
Be sure to meet the criteria to score highly.
- Competence in the art of filmmaking or animation.
- Relevance to SEQ’s species, habitats and/or conservation issues.
- Inspires, touches the spirit, makes us wonder, laugh, shed a tear.
- Well thought out storyline that offers a solution.
- Based on facts and/or science.
What areas are considered South East QLD?
The areas are:
- Brisbane City
- Ipswich City
- Logan City
- Moreton Bay Region
- Redland City
- City of Gold Coast
- Sunshine Coast Region including Noosa
- Lockyer Valley
- Scenic Rim
- Toowoomba City
Are there any forms to fill in?
When submitting your film you will need to complete:
- An entry form
And if required:
- Location Agreement
- Music Release
- Talent Release
What are the terms and conditions of entry?
The Terms and Conditions are:
TERMS & CONDITIONS
The Cicada Film Festival (CFF) was initiated in 2011 by the Wildlife Preservation Society of Qld Bayside Branch hereby known as ‘The Organisers’.
- There are two Categories: (1) GENERAL theme and (2) OCEANS theme
- There are two Age Groups: (1) Open (14 -24 years inclusive) and (2) Under 14 (13 years of age and under)
- Entrants must be residents of South-East Queensland (SEQ) as defined by the Australian Bureau of Statistics.
You can find information on the areas defined as South-East Queensland by downloading the CFF map.
Terms & Conditions (1 – 19)
1) Films entered in the General Category of the Cicada Film Festival are to highlight a particular conservation issue relevant to SEQ. Films entered in the Oceans Category should address marine issues with a specific relevance to SEQ’s Moreton Bay. All films should suggest effective solutions.
2) Entries in either the General or Oceans Categories in both the Open and Under 14 age groups are to:
a) be any style or combination of styles (documentary and/or drama); and use video/stills imagery/animation
b) be based on facts/science and at the same time be entertaining
c) demonstrate competence in the art of film-making/animation
Entries must be:
3) a maximum of three (3) minutes duration (including credits; and not contain any commercial music
4) predominately the work of the entrants i.e. imagery from third parties must not exceed thirty percent (30%) of content; and, any third-party content must comply with copyright laws
5) Produced between 8th June 2019 and 7th September 2020 by residents of SEQ aged under 25 years
6) Submitted online at https://cicadafilmfestival.com.au/ or, by USB to Post Office Box 427 Capalaba Q 4157; and all entries must clearly indicate the name/s of entrant/s and the film’s title
7) Received by the Organisers by 7th September and be accompanied by the following completed forms:
a) Entry Form; b) thumbnail and spiel about your film for upload to CFF’s YouTube Channel; c) and if applicable: Location Release Form; Music Release Form; and Talent Release Form which are available from the CFF
How to Enter page https://cicadafilmfestival.com.au/how-to-enter
8) Comply with all laws and regulations including those relating to COVID-19 during the making of their films
9) Ensure their entry does not contain classifiable elements i.e. foul language, violence or nudity
10) Gain written permission from those whose images, voices, music or property appear in their film (as per #7)
Find forms via https://cicadafilmfestival.com.au/how-to-enter
11) Not be related to members of the 2020 Judging Panel
12) Accept that: a) 1st Prize winners are ineligible to win 1st Place prizes in the year following their win; and
b) entries are limited to three (3) films per entrant and major prizes limited to one (1) per entrant
By entering the Cicada Film Festival you:
13) Allow the Organisers to publicly screen your film free of charge; upload your film to the internet; and grant the Organisers non-exclusive worldwide rights to your film
14) Indemnify the Organisers against any losses or damage incurred during the making of your film
15) Agree that the Organisers can use photographs of you associated with the Cicada Film Festival
16) Understand that Organisers reserve the right not to show or share films considered to be inappropriate, defamatory or libellous
17) Understand the Judges’ decision will be final and no correspondence will be entered into
18) Affirm that you have read, understand and accept the Terms and Conditions
19) Are aware that Online Premiere Screenings will be hosted in October and Winners announced during an Awards Night on Friday 30th October.